I have finally finished the Gold-Green-Purple Diamonds quilt. No, I didn’t manage to come up with a better name since I last posted about this quilt.
I made a 55cm (22″) square frame for it using the same technique as I used on my last small quilt. This new quilt in its frame weighs 360g (12 oz) so I used two of the 3M Command 225g (1/2 lb.) mini hooks to hang it. The quilt is 60cm (24″) square overall.
The only differences this time when gluing the frame pieces together was to lay the wood bits out on a piece of styrofoam and get them square. Then I was able to use straightpins to anchor the thin pieces of wood in preparation for gluing. I also used carpenter glue this time rather than school glue. Carpenter glue starts out a bit tacky and is dry in under an hour. Whereas I found the school glue I used last time resulted in wood pieces slithering all over the place and took 24 hours to dry.
I only used the 3M refastenable fasteners in the four corners. I’m going to see if it sags first before I add more fastener locations.
The fabric in the quilt is a combination of my own hand-dyes and some commercial batiks. A lot of the hand-dyed fabric is from a workshop I did with Claire Benn and Leslie Morgan 5 years ago.